a.k.a. “The Death of Me”
My girls head back to school tomorrow and even after a great summer, I am so ready for a normal schedule to be in place. The one thing I’m not looking forward to is the complaining about not having good after-school snacks.
So this year? We’re nipping it in the butt early. This week we’re making some easy and healthy snacks for the girls to munch on while doing homework. And I thought I’d share them with you (of course, hoping you would share some with me too!).
Of course, they would be really good with mini chocolate chips in them too, but I try to keep the sweets consumption minimal until after dinner.
With one exception: Power Balls. This is the second snack that is a must-have in our house. And they have chocolate chips in them, which the kids love. 🙂 One of my favorites about these: Alaina (almost 10) can make them almost entirely on her own.
I got this recipe from my friend Christina when we visited Holland, MI last month. And we’ve made these several times since.
- 1 cup peanut butter (with no or low sugar)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup chopped dried fruit (I just use raisins)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups rolled oats (I use 1 3/4 cups - I think it depends on the PB you use.)
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Once all the dry ingredients are wet, roll into balls and place on cookie sheet. (Make them however big or small you want. I made this recipe into 24 balls and they were a perfect size.)
- Refrigerate until completely set, then transfer into an airtight container to store in the fridge.
I’m hoping planning ahead with snacks like these will make the transition back to school more seamless. We’re also going to make blueberry zucchini muffins and hard-boiled eggs to help with breakfast choices. (Cami is completely fine with cereal or oatmeal every morning, but Alaina decided she doesn’t like cereal this summer. Of course.)
Have any quick and healthy snack options? Please share!!!