It’s March and in my house that means NCAA March Madness is finally here. We love college basketball like crazy. And one of the best parts about living in Indy is that we get to host the Final Four tournament every 4-6 years. Including THIS YEAR! And with the Final Four weekend just a month away, I’m getting excited and thought I’d share with you some fun events already planned for the weekend.
- Slam Dunk & 3-Point Championships : Thursday, April 2nd at 7pm at Hinkle Fieldhouse – Tickets are $16 for ages 13+. Kids ages 3-12: $8. Now in its 27th year, the State Farm College Slam Dunk & 3-Point Championships feature 24 of the best collegiate dunkers and sharpshooters, and will be televised live on ESPN. Purchase tickets HERE. (We’re planning on going! Lucas LOVES this stuff!)
- Final Four Friday : Friday, April 3rd – FREE. Watch the Final Four teams at Lucas Oil Stadium in one of their final practices before the national semifinal games. Fans who attend will have the opportunity to hear from each head coach after their sessions and engage in on-court promotions. The day concludes with the Reese’s College All Star-Game tipping off at 4:30 p.m. (We’ve been to these free practices in previous years and they are so fun for the kids! But SUPER packed full of people, so get there early if you care about where you sit.)
- Final Four Fan Fest : Friday, April 3rd through Monday, April 6th at the Convention Center – Tickets are available online through March 15 for $8 – Adults ($10 starting March 16th); $4 – Children ages 3-11, Current College Students with valid ID, Senior Citizens ages 55+ and Military Personnel with valid ID ($5 starting March 16th) and FREE for kids 2 and under. This event is the ultimate pregame destination. It’s an indoor interactive event offering a chance to meet legendary coaches and former college stars at exclusive autograph sessions, sign up for daily youth clinics, and participate in a host of sport activities ranging from basketball to lacrosse to hockey and more. The weekend also boasts a variety of unique entertainment including the annual Final Four Pep Rally featuring the bands and cheerleaders from the four participating NCAA Final Four teams. Purchase tickets HERE.
- NCAA March Madness Music Festival : Friday, April 3 through Sunday, April 5th : FREE. It’s a three-day outdoor music festival in downtown Indy. Performers haven’t been announced but past performers include Bruce Springsteen, Fun., Dave Mathews Band, Kenny Chesney, Sting, Jimmy Buffet, The Black Keys, Muse, Zac Brown Band, LL Cool J and The Kings of Leon. Details on times and places (and who!) can be found HERE.
- NCAA Youth Clinics : Saturday, April 4th (doors open at 11 am, starts at noon) – FREE with registration for kids in grades 3-8. The clinics are a community outreach program where kids receive sport instruction from NCAA coaches and student-athletes and get valuable information on fitness, healthy lifestyles and sportsmanship. There are four locations throughout Indy and you can register HERE.
- Road to the Final Four 5K : Saturday, April 4th (rain or shine) – $25 if you preregister, $30 on site. The event benefits the Coaches vs. Cancer® program, which is a collaborative effort between the American Cancer Society and National Association of Basketball Coaches. The 5K starts at the NCAA Hall of Champions. Register HERE.
- The Final Four Dribble : Sunday, April 5th – FREE with registration for the first 3,200 kids to sign up. DRIBBLE a basketball through the heart of downtown Indy! Participating kids will receive a T-shirt, basketball and free entry into Final Four Fan Fest (on that day only). Register HERE. (We’re already signed up! Join us!!)
Indianapolis does a GREAT job at hosting sporting events. And the downtown area is beautiful and welcoming. So come downtown to my ‘hood and have some fun with us! We’ll be enjoying some of the events above but we’ll also just be hanging around downtown if the weather’s nice. SO JOIN US! We’re fun.